Many of us consume nuts for their healthy fats and their good source of protein. They make a great quick snack that can easily be taken with you, making it an ideal snack. But many of us do not know how to properly prepare nuts so that we can better digest them
You’ve probably heard health gurus say they eat activated nuts. And you are not the first to think, activated how? Why? Actually by soaking them. In today’s blog post we’ll talk about why should you activate your nuts and how to do it properly.
When eating nuts that haven’t been soaked, the phytic acid binds to minerals in the gastrointestinal tract and can not be absorbed in the intestine and to many bound minerals can lead to mineral deficiencies. By soaking, you are breaking down the phytic acid so it can be absorbed properly.
Phytic acid reduces mineral absorption during the meal but doesn’t have any effect on subsequent meals.
For example, snacking on nuts between meals could reduce the amount of iron, zinc and calcium you absorb from these nuts but not from the meal you eat a few hours later.
Crazy, right?! who would’ve thought that your regular raw store bought nut isn’t being absorbed as easy or as well as it should be compared to if it had been soaked!
Nuts also have high amounts of enzymes inhibitors. This is another reason why un-soaked nuts are hard to digest.
Soaked or activated nuts can neutralise the enzymes allowing for proper digestion.
TOP 3 SIGNS THAT YOU AREN’T DIGESTING NUTS PROPERLY
If you love nuts but you always find yourself having digestive issues afterwards doesn’t mean you can eat nuts anymore! These are the top 3 sign you are probably not digesting them properly:
- Nuts are still in your stool then next day
- Feeling heavy in your lower stomach after eating un-soaked nuts
- Bloating after eating un-soaked nuts/seeds.
HOW DO I SOAK/ACTIVATE NUTS?
Soaking your nuts is actually super easy it’s really just about remembering to do it and making the time for it! Your nuts do need to be soaked overnight for better results.
- Measure out 1 cup of raw, unsalted, organic nuts/seeds into a medium sized bowl or mason jar.
- Cover with 2 cups of filtered water *if you don’t have filtered water you can just used kettle boiled water since it kills the bacteria.
- Add a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Allow to stand covered on the counter for about 7 hours, or overnight
- Rinse nuts to remove salt residue and spread out in single layer on a rack to dehydrate.
- Dry in your oven at a low temperature roughly 65°C until dry. If your oven can’t be set that low, use a food dehydrator.
- store your nuts in glass jars in a cool cupboard.
Here are our recommendations :
How do you like to eat your nuts? Do you eat them raw, activated or toasted?
Let us know in the comments down below if you ever soaked your nuts before and what are your tips.
If you own an Apple Watch don’t forget to check out our fitness app to maximize your workout effectiveness.
We created the newest technology in fitness that understands your movement in the gym, counting your reps while you perform them and giving instant personalized feedback after each set.
Are you performing every exercise at the right speed with the right weight to reach your goal? Workout with Juicelous to improve the efficiency of every workout.